Where you can make a difference:
This is an exciting opportunity to join an energetic, fast paced, dynamic, Sequoia* backed, mobile transaction services company, offering ample growth opportunities and exciting challenges.
We are looking for an experienced Technical Manager to help us grow a new Java based team. The Technical Manager will be accountable for planning, organizing, controlling, and management of the Touch Platform and implementation of the infrastructure strategy relating to it. This role will work closely with various teams to provide the support necessary to allow for rapid code deployment and high levels of system uptime.
Responsible for the following functional area: Clickatell’s Touch Platform
*Sequoia played a role in the funding of YouTube, Apple, Google and other exciting companies.
The Role of our Champion:
- Manages a team of Software and Machine Learning Engineers.
- Provide mentorship, career development guidance to team members. This should include technical mentorship, as well as soft-skills and other aspects of being effective and successful in a technical organization.
- Plan and manage skills development and training for team members. Think carefully about areas where their skills need greatest development, or where the most opportunity for improvement exists; work with the person to identify appropriate training; and obtain budget and time allowance to complete it
- Provide performance feedback and complete performance evaluations for team members. Informal performance feedback should be provided on a frequent basis, and should include feedback from fellow team members. Feedback should be balanced and focused on recognition for achievement, and opportunities for growth.
- Lead the recruitment and hiring of new team members (with the active involvement and input of the existing team members)
- Promptly and proactively removes impediments that are harming teams’ ability to be effective. Allowing team members to meet project goals.
- Be available to provide advice and assistance to teams on technical difficulties that arise in the course of doing their work. This includes identifying issues to teams that they might overlook, such as scalability, reliability, modularity, performance and security.
- Stay abreast of developments in the tools and technologies that teams are using. Solicit input from teams and other stakeholders on tools and technologies that could be useful. Spend time getting hands-on familiarity with these tools and technologies.
- Stay up to date on industry news. Be knowledgeable about developments from our company, our competitors, and our largest customers, including financial performance, market share, product roadmap, and overall business strategy. Challenge technical teams to rise to identified challenges and threats.
- Do financial planning and budgeting for teams, including anticipating future people requirements, skills development and training needs, tools and technologies required, hardware, travel, and any other resources that people will require.
- Assist with defining their team’s/teams’ product vision.
- Communicate the development/implementation strategy and roadmap together with the value proposition of potential changes and modifications.
- To assist in forming development/implementation strategy, execution plans and to drive support for these plans among internal and external stakeholders. This includes embracing and supporting the principles behind the Agile Manifesto.
- To champion internal initiatives and requirements, relevant to your team, that are identified by domain experts and are essential to the sustainability of the Clickatell messaging environment.
In the first 90 days of assuming the role, the following expectations will exist around progress:
- Build rapport and trust with team members and gain familiarity with the nature of their work and the idiosyncrasies of the team members
- Be a role model to your team and respect, acknowledge and appreciate their suggestions and efforts
- Take ownership of and demonstrate understanding of the team’s Product Backlog
- Participate in a review of the team’s Definition of Done, Definition of Ready and Working Agreements
- Be in regular contact with the Technology leadership team to ensure challenges, progress and opportunities within the team(s) are shared
- Gain intimate familiarity with the Technology Working Agreements and their underlying principles and can identify activity that is contradiction to this, and support the team in addressing this
- Bring in agility in your team functioning and provide for a transparent working environment, which will further strengthen your relation with team members.
- Display a keen grip on operationally affecting issues and negotiate resolution with team members, or escalate
- Promote the image and understanding of Technology’s processes with all external parties engaged
The Capabilities of our Champion:
- Effectively lead teams and inspire others to achieve goals through innovation, quality and excellence.
- Ability to identify strengths and weaknesses of team members and suitably make changes if required
- Resource management skills and ability to handle complex / sensitive issues.
- Encourage team interaction, boost employee motivation and appreciate team contribution.
- Ability to match project tasks with opportunities for development so that employee potential is utilised to the maximum
- Excellent communication skills are important, since candidate will be expected to operate across multiple functional areas (engineering, operations, sales, products, and marketing) including external partners, customers and team members.
- Fundamental grasp of and commitment to the principles of the Agile methodology.
- Candidate must be able to analyse requirements and identify scope and nature of deliverable.
- Ability to manage change and effectively pass on the information to concerned teams for smoother execution.
- Delegate and allocate responsibilities efficiently to manage projects end to end.
- A good technical background at a low level, since the candidate must be able to take part in discussions, offering alternative options and challenging the ideas offered by technical resources.
- Needs to be proficient in handling the most complex of technical development concepts, latest software tools and technologies, strong database concepts and designing techniques.
- Understands different programming languages and ability to solve problems in coding, testing and deployment.
- Experience in troubleshooting, software development processes and ability to understand and implement client requirements.
- The Technical Manager will manage a team working with the following (growing) set of technologies:
- Backend: Java 8, Spring 4.2.5, Spring Data 1.10.1, Jersey 2.22.2, Hibernate 5.1.0, Kafka client 0.10.0.1, Avro 1.8.0, Liquibase 3.4.2, Tomcat 7.0.68, JUnit 4.12, Quartz 2.2.3 and SonarCube
- Web UI: AngularJS, Bootstrap, S3
- Databases: Cassandra 3.0.5, MySQL, Zookeeper, Kafka 2.11, Redis 3,2.8
- Logging: Log4j, ElasticSearch, Kibana, Logstash, FileBeats
- AWS (Amazon Web Services)
Our Champion's Journey so far:
- Exposure to Agile methods.
- Certified Scrum Master or Certified Scrum Product certification highly advantageous
- Experience in software/system development industry
- Tertiary education in related field
- Proven ability to collaborate with, and compel cooperation/agreement from a diverse group of knowledge workers, essential
- Innovative and takes risks; not shy to experiment; does not follow the crowd and does what needs to be done to succeed.
- Seeks alignment across teams; shares in and promotes the company vision and goal.
- Obsessed about customers; truly cares and is passionate about making customers smile.
Why you will love being here:
- Competitive salary paid monthly
- Medical aid contributions
- Quarterly performance incentives
- Pension fund contribution
- Group life cover
- Communication allowances
- Undercover parking
- Half day off on your birthday
- 5 “personal” days leave a year, over and above your normal annual leave.
- Staff events, daily popcorn, snacks, cool offices. All the things that make Clickatell a fantastic place to work
Preference will be given to candidates who will enhance the diversity of the team and contribute to employment equity within the Company provided that the competencies and minimum requirements for the position have been met.
Do you have a LinkedIn account? Import your resume and save time!