Database Administrator (DBA)
Division: Clickatell Engage
Title: Database Administrator
Where you can make a difference:
Clickatell is the technology company that enables brands to delight their customers with innovative, customer-centric solutions, giving them more time for what really matters.
We are looking for a talented Database Administrator who is passionate about building products used by millions of people. The Database Administrator will mentor other developers and establish best practices in this new team. As a Database Administrator, you will be part of a very competent team that works on mission critical applications contributing in all phases of the development process. You will be responsible for database administration, supporting business objectives while providing expertise in full software development lifecycle, from concept and design, to testing.
The Role of our Champion:
- Ensuring our development and production databases are tuned for optimal performance and minimal downtime.
- Work closely with developers to define and evolve our data model, support data analytics activities, and ensure scalability.
- Manage the full life cycle of database schema design and implementation, including script management, from development through production.
- Design and implementation of high-availability database features using various replication and disaster recovery methodologies.
- Implementation of database schema changes in a live production environment requiring minimal downtime.
- Support of applications and environment while working with on-site and remote development teams.
- As a Senior, play a thought-leadership role within the Communities of Practice (COP), supporting the Tech Leads in driving the vision of the COP Core Competencies.
- Mentorship to less experienced developers and establishment of best practises.
- The core focus of this role will be database technologies such as Cassandra 3.0.5, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Zookeeper, Kafka 2.11, Redis 3.2.8, ELK
The Capabilities of our Champion:
- Live up to our values: Be the Champion! Be Curious, Be Collaborative, Be Courageous, Be Creative.
- Excellent communication: Strong written and oral communication skills which can be adapted to a range of audiences
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to work reliably and responsibly with internal and external colleagues
- Analytical and organised
- Ability to think creatively and take an innovative and flexible approach to problem-solving in a fast-changing technology driven company
- Ability to prioritise tasks
- Willingness to assist with or perform tasks outside of own job description and function as required
- Ability to take on responsibility, ownership and be accountable for results and actions take
Our Champion's Journey so far:
- 6+ years of production DBA experience
- 2+ years of experience managing databases in cloud environments
- Diploma in Information Technology, BTech (IT), B.Sc. Computer Science, or equivalent
- Degree a significant advantage
- Proficiency with Linux (CentOS)
- Familiarity with Agile and Scrum methodologies and embracing of their values and principles
- Have significant experience developing Enterprise Grade applications at scale
- Have excellent technical documentation skills, and excellent communication across multiple cultures and time zones
- Understanding of SQL databases such as MySQL
- Familiarity with Version Control systems such as Git
- Familiarity with: Java 8, Spring, Spring Data, Jersey, Hibernate, Kafka, Avro, Tomcat, JUnit, Facebook API, Twitter API
- Familiarity with Web UI: CSS/JS/HTML, AngularJS, Bootstrap
- Familiarity with Databases: Cassandra, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Zookeeper, Kafka, Redis, Amazon S3, Liquibase, ETL, BI reporting and data integration tools
- Familiarity with Logging: Log4j, ElasticSearch, Kibana, Logstash, FileBeats
- Familiarity with: AWS (Amazon Web Services), SonarQube, Jenkins, Maven, XMPP, JIRA
Why you will love being here:
- Competitive salary paid monthly
- Medical aid contributions
- Quarterly performance incentives
- Pension fund contribution
- Group life cover
- Communication allowances
- Undercover parking
- Half day off on your birthday
- 5 “personal” days leave a year, over and above your normal annual leave.
- Staff events, daily popcorn, snacks, cool offices. All the things that make Clickatell a fantastic place to work.
Preference will be given to candidates who will enhance the diversity of the team and contribute to employment equity within the Company provided that the competencies and minimum requirements for the position have been met.